Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Guidance 3/14

Anyway, Here's the list of the deliverables needed for next week: I will be checking on this in the one-on-ones and assisting where I can.

Let me start by saying that you have ALL made improvements on last week's work. It is vital to remember that this week featured much more dynamic shots, transitions and on-model skills. However, we still have a long way to go before the project is in great shape. On the whole, everyone needs to take a step back and re-examine the storyline and desired look of the short before going any further.

1. Full Shot Breakdown and New Thumbnails:
Take the story breakdown that has been AGREED on my the group and the STORY LEAD. Go through it line by line and break it up according to shots. Make a few copies of it, strategically go through the list and detail according to the camera language and vocab. Tell us what is an Establishing Shot, Continuing Shot? What is the camera doing? Is this a CU or MS?

2. Remember the Shot Count:
You have keep the entire short below 100 shots, preferably below 80. Ration out the appropriate number of shots for the major parts of the action. Remember what I said about reserving the majority share of the shots for the action, leaving you a limited number of shots for the lazier parts of the action, dialogue, exposition, etc.

3. Delegating the Scenes and Sequences:
Please note, this is only done with the go-ahead of your STORY LEAD. If they are unaware of your casting - who is doing what, then you are all failing in your professionalism. I also expect you to work out very quick thumbnails to join one artists work to another as a group. The artist following on from your sequence needs to have an in-depth understanding of exactly how you are leading on from own work.

4. Round the Bases needs to be SET!
It's the most important part of the entire piece. It's what the client demands. Don't ignore them, work your story around these. But COVER THESE BASES and AGREE on how to integrate them as a group.

5. EXAMINE SHORT FORM ANIMATION!!!
I'm aghast at how few of you are watching animation or live action as a regular source of inspiration. And I'm not talking Disney Animation here people. You'll learn little of how to get good pacing for short form animation from that. I'm talking animated series, animated shorts and even commercials!

Over the next few weeks I am giving up more of my time to get your to improve all of this. I can only assist you, the change needs to come from you all~!

I still believe that you can all improve, I saw it today! But we have a way to go...

Shaun

No comments: