Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Revised bluebird, artist analysis




Just adding a larger post with all the recent stuff!

The revised bluebird boards


Artist analysis

I’m choosing Dan Sweetman as my artist to focus on.

One of the reasons I like his work is that he uses fairly stylized humans in his boards, so the expressions and emotions can be pushed farther than other artists that use a more realistic style. He also does a good job demonstrating crowds and large scale building without them seeming unrealistically large or unorganized. He seems comfortable going from “realistic” people to more grotesque characters in the Alice in Wonderland boards

A sequence that I particularly enjoyed was his Smurfs one featuring the stork flying through the forest and introduction of the Smurf village. The way he controls the framing and camera movement are very clear and smooth. He keeps his drawings and poses loose while still drawing in a very clear, understandable format. Going from the fast paced sequence of Iron Man 2, to a more subtle scene from Mission Impossible.

 I also enjoyed his use of stock images and the repeating pasted robots in the Iron Man board. I feel like he has a good handle on his time economy when setting up his scenes without going into too much detail.





I left my Vacation Board on the school computer so I'll need to post it tomorrow.


No comments: